Tuesday, May 05, 2009

The stitching world is mourning JEAN HILTON

It is with great sadness that yesterday on May 4th, 2009 the stitching world has learned of Jean Hilton's death. I was absolutely stunned when I read about it on stitching groups and it has still not completely sank in.
.
Jeanne on her blog has written a wonderful testimony and has also shown one of Jean's piece that I particularly love and admired ever since I set eyes on it "Scotlee".
.
While thinking of the sadness that we are feeling at this time, I suddenly thought of this piece I stitched a while back which reflects an earlier time when mourning samplers became the fashion to express people's grief.


JEAN HILTON, we will miss you and rest assured that you will remain forever in our hearts.
.
Pierrette

3 comments:

NCPat said...

Very appropriate, Pierette. So hard to believe that such a great lady is no longer with us.

Terry said...

I like so many of us in the needlepoint world are in a state of shellshock other than some that might have been aware of Jean being ill, I never met Jean but had the privilige of chatting to her on the phone a couple of years ago when she was in the UK in Scotland and when the idea of a chapter for cyperpointers instead of just as she put it mere members at large of the ANG was just being talked about and nothing had been started to actually create a new chapter, at the time she asked me about maybe starting a new chapter for the UK or maybe for Europe and if I would be interested in getting involved in its creation and I felt very priviliged that she would ask me being so new to needlepoint as having previously been an embroiderer with no knowledge of needlepoint and having kept a wide berth thinking it was all just tent stitch. She was a designer who soon changed my mind.

Jean created some beautiful designs and I hope that we will all for many years to come have access to them especialy her teaching design Scotlee which could perhaps be available for people to purchase in memory of her and proceeds to go to her favourite charity.

It really hits us hard when such a talented designer and teacher is no longer with us but I think that she had a vary varied and exciting life and just know that she is now with her needle and thread in her hand teaching still and who knows our guardian angels might now have lots of her stitches enhancing their robes

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Terry,

I had forgotten about that experience you had with Jean. When reading your comments it all came back to me :-)

Pierrette =^..^=