Gay Ann Rogers in her Shining Needle Society Classroom is now helping us learn more about colors with a new project called Mystery in a Corner.
I have resisted this new project for a while as I already have so many different projects in progress these days and many many more waiting in the wings, but after giving it a lot of thought, I decided to go ahead and participate in this one as it has been designed to help us with color decisions, something that will be quite useful to me.
I communicated with Gay Ann, purchased the project instructions and chose my Watercolour from which the other colors needed for the project would come from. Having done that, I communicated with Pam, who had already done multiple colour combinations, and told her that I wanted something done with Woodlands, which she happily did and the first photo shows the threads that she selected for me (greens, blues & topaz to go with Woodlands).
When I received my canvas and my threads a few days ago, I started with the stitching.
I decided that I was going to take photos for each step in order to document it and thus be able to use this experiment as a reminder of the impact that each successive colours will make on the previous one(s) and so on.
On this photo we can see, starting from the very center, a blue metallic thread, followed by a topaz metallic, followed by my Woodlands watercolour and then again the blue metallic thread. Looking at this photo I am happy with how it looks. I like the blue colour best, so I am manipulating the threads so that it comes out with blue as emphasis.
Here I have just added another row of topaz. By doing that, it has just changed a bit the impact that my blue had made in the precedent photo.
On this one, I have added again some Watercolour threads, putting the emphasis on the yellow/orange color.
This photo shows the first border using some green DMC Perle #5 with Watercolours for the couching, with some additional metallic threads. I chose the section of the Watercolours that I liked the best for this couching.
In this last photo, for now, I have really put the emphasis on the blue, by stitching the middle section in blue and also for each corner, using Impressions and metallic threads. I am happy with how things look so far. Still plenty more decisions to make along the way.