Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Shalimar


A good friend of mine when she saw this project called Shalimar, which end result will be a lovely pillow, strongly encouraged me to finish it.
-
The photo above shows one little section that has been stitched.


A second photo shows another section with a different design.


Here with the third photo we can see the two stitched sections with some unfinished ones.


Here we have a view of the entire project. There are still quite a bit of stitching to do, but it is the kind of stitching that gives a lace effect and is quite lovely.
-
Shalimar is a Carol Costello design. Some of you may be familiar with her designs. You can find it in a book called Fancy Work & Fantasies. There are two different pillow designs in the book. The other one is quite lovely too, but I prefer this one. Shalimar has a beautiful vase with flowers in the center section, little hearts in the four squares and lots of beautiful stitches.
-
The threads used for this project are Medici and DMC Perle.
-
It has been such a long time since I have stitched on that project that I won't even try to guess when it was. Yes, it was that long ago. That makes it quite a UFO, doesn't it? I think that this is my oldest one, when I think of it, which means that I will probably have to have some kind of celebration when it is all completed :-)
-
I am having some bad Spring allergies these days and it is making stitching much more difficult, but not impossible.
-
Have started working on my brazilian embroidery rose the other day, so it is progressing slowly.
-
Still reading my Monica Ferris book called Framed in Lace. Hey, that is probably why I have just picked up Shalimar as it looks like Lace. I had not realized that until just now. I think that I may be pushing that thing a bit far by doing some crewel work when reading Crewel World and now wanting to work on Shalimar because I am reading Framed in Lace. The next one on the list is called Murderous Yarn, does that mean that I need to start knitting something? I have not knitted since I was 12 years old probably :-(
-
Oh, well, enough chatting and better get myself moving on my stitching.
-
Pierrette =^..^=

7 comments:

Terry said...

Yes I remember this well and I also have the book somewhere that its in (I think its been that long since we discussed it) it will make a nice change for you after the crewel work so go for it

Jane said...

Pierrette, thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. Looking forward to seeing more of this piece, think your friend was right to encourage you to finish it. I really like how the different stitches create different textures and even colour.

Possibilities, Etc. said...

This is just really really pretty! It's good to see this sort of thing coming back!

Possibilities, Etc. said...

I just noticed your remark about lace - My Needlepoint Now article that just came out is on lace in needlepoint - I love the look, and am right now doing a monogram pillow with a "lace" border in these colors. Love it!!

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Judy,

I have just received my magazine this afternoon and have not read any of it yet, just looked at the photos and interestingly enough I had stopped at pages 24 and 25 to admire the different designs. Will go back and read your article at leasure a bit later.

Pierrette =^..^=

NCPat said...

Pierette,
What a lovely piece! Don't you just love the Monica books?

Love to Stitch 99 said...

Hi Pat,

Yes, I am enjoying the Monica Ferris books. For once I know what they are talking about :-)

Pierrette =^..^=