Sunday, January 27, 2008

Oak leaves and acorns: Goldwork


One of the projects that I have been working on lately is a beginner's metal thread (goldwork) correspondence course designed by Janice Routley for the Embroiderers' Association of Canada, to which I belong to.
-
I was surprised to see how much work there was to do before I could actually start couching the Japanese gold threads on the project. First, I needed to mount backing and ground material together using herringbone stitches making sure both fabric are well stretched, then I had to use the trace and tack method for transferring the pattern and only after that was done was I able to start couching the Japanese gold thread on my design, starting with the three oak leaves. Next step is to work the three acorns themselves and then the design will be completed.
-
After that I will need to start looking for a lovely wooden box. I think that would look nice as an insert.
-
Pierrette =^..^=

2 comments:

Terry said...

This is coming along really well and I look forward to seeing the next stage, as usual you have spent time and effort making sure that it is just perfect

Elizabeth Braun said...

Ooooh, I'm looking forward to seeing this progress!